Monday, March 25, 2013

Little Treasures

So this isn't a craft per se, but I have a fascination with Montessori type activities for kids.  I would love to see my little boy grow up with an active imagination.  I don't want to see him walking around with a screen in front of himself all the time!

Since H is still little, I decided to start with a simple treasure basket.  Here's where I found the original idea for H's basket.

Using stuff around the home, I found a baby brush (mine is plastic, as opposed to a natural material as Montessori teachers would recommend) and a red kerchief.  The idea is to find objects that will engage all the senses.  As he gets older and is able to handle more without my assistance, I'll add more items and group them in categories like specific shapes, materials, textures, etc., or items that teach a different skill like twisting or transferring.  For now, we're keeping it simple!





Here is H exploring his basket:



Yum!



This kept him entertained for about 15 minutes, and then it was nap time.  I call that a success!





No comments:

Post a Comment